Since version two of Connex was released in May of 2016, we have heard feedback about our user interface. The rules engine and install wizard have received the most comments. In the last six weeks, we started designing a new user interface and I want to share some screenshots, as well as our goals, prior to the release.
Connex V3 Goals:
- We noticed a drop off in free trials during the set-up process for Connex Desktop. Recognizing that navigating back-and-forth between QuickBooks and running the Intuit Web Connector isn’t very intuitive, our goal is to make is easier to understand.
- Connex relies heavily on modals and pop-up dialog boxes. We plan to remove the modals, since they are blocked in most browsers.
- Clearer in-app communication. We want to make it easier for users to understand what a particular setting does and how it relates to QuickBooks. In the new version, you’ll enjoy a series of helpful tool tips, mouse-over tips, and FAQ’s.
- We understand that the Rules Engine, while powerful, isn’t very intuitive. Moreover, there’s currently no way to verify if a rule will work as intended. To address this, we are adding a Rule Previewer to test and verify if a designed rule will work as intended.
- In addition to providing a means to test rules, we’re adding predefined rules templates for the most popular rules we see users deploy. Our intention is to make it easier and faster than ever before to add rules and customize Connex.
- We recognize that the current user interface isn’t optimized for usability and ease of navigation. Therefore, our goal with the new interface is to be mindful of this and engage with intuitive design and minimal clicks to navigate to popular features.
- Allow for easier, intuitive account management.
- Our research suggests that a dark color theme is popular and can make software easier to read and navigate. Therefore, we plan to deploy a darker theme in the up-coming version.
That’s great! What is the tentative release date?
Currently, our goal is to release the new interface, for Connex Desktop first, on or about Monday, July 13; followed by a deploy for Connex Online.
How can I check out the new interface?
I’m glad you asked. You can get a full sneak peek within the open beta by clicking here. While this is fully functional, it is only available for Connex Desktop users at this time.
How about a sneak peek now?
You bet! For the remainder of the post, I will focus on showcasing the new install wizard. I am adding instructions and screenshots to pair the web connector. The user will see three steps:
- Choose Sync Direction.
- Pair QuickBooks.
- Pair Web Connector.
Here is a sneak peak:
Our goal is to make pairing QuickBooks and configuring the web connector an easy to understand, step-by-step process.
If you have questions or feedback, please get in touch with us or let us know in the comments below.
Expect future updates posted to our blog, too. Stay tuned!