The Connex for QuickBooks Rules engine has been a fundamental part of our solution since 2013. Since then, we’ve made many changes to make the overall experience more user-friendly. Now, our Rules Engine tool is more powerful than ever, helping thousands of customers easily automate their Quickbooks data – with no hassles.
In this article, we’ll go over and answer some frequently asked questions that we get on the Rules Engine, discuss some best practices when using the tool, and even show a visual demonstration of how it all works.
What is the Rules Engine?
The Connex Rules Engine is a powerful automation and field mapping tool that enables you to dynamically change how fields are mapping, based on a specific scenario or desired outcome. Not only does this tool allow you to create custom mappings, but it also changes how fields map.
Examples of this:
- Mapping SKU A to different SKU B;
- Map a deposit account, based on a specific payment method;
- Map all coupon codes to a single discount line item;
- Map all shipping methods to a single shipping line item;
- Map Class tracking based upon a specific selling channel or marketplace;
- and so much more!
There are many more actions available to try out when using the Rules Engine. In order to explore the possibilities, you must first login to Connex, click Rules Engine on the left, and then click Add new Rule to get started! If you get stuck or have any questions, be sure to check out our Help Center for more information.
When do rules run?
The Rules run before orders sync to QuickBooks, but after orders are synced from your website and/or other platform. In order to understand this process think of Connex as a sandwich – your website or platform and QucikBooks are the two slices of bread. The Rules are the condiments in between.
Rules run in top-down order and they run across all integrations added to your account unless you otherwise set them not to do so.
Can I group rules together?
Yes! You can add an “and” statement with Rules.
If the selling channel matched eBay and if the payment method equals PayPal etc.
How do I know if my rules worked?
You can test it before running the Rules Engine. On second to last step of the Rules Engine tool, you are given the option to test the Rules you have set in place. You can test with a certain connection using order numbers and even choose the fields to show.
Connex Rules Engine Best Practices
Here are some best practices we recommend when using the Rules Engine tool:
- Use an “ends with” or a “starts with” to remove part of a phrase. Many users upload thousands of rules when instead, this simple comparison would perform better.
- Use our order previewer to test rules, before syncing. This can save time. Instead of deleting and resyncing orders, you can see how a rule will perform.
- We allow a maximum of 5,000 rules per user. Having a large number of rules, especially SKU mapping, can cause a slower sync.
- Try to chain rules with the “and” statement, instead of running certain rules on certain connections. It is easier to see what rules will run.
Can I see a visual demonstration of the Connex Rules Engine?
Below you will find a short video by our CEO and Founder, Joseph Anderson demonstrating the Rules Engine in action!
Is Connex the Right Tool As You Expand Your Business?
Most of our customers sell on multiple e-commerce channels. For example, Woocommerce, Shopify, Magento, and ShipStation, just to name a few.
They want to grow their business, and they also value the peace of mind from knowing their books are always up to date and they can serve their customers.
Why Our Customers Choose Sync with Connex
- Developed specifically e-commerce business owners
- You can scale your business by automatically syncing sales & inventory from multiple e-commerce platforms to QuickBooks Desktop or Online.
- You don’t have to spend your resources manually entering sales, inventory, and customers into your website and QuickBooks accounts.
Recommended by Intuit itself, Connex for QuickBooks will give you peace of mind that your inventory will be updated. You will be free of the frustration of oversells and missed items.
- When your inventory is up-to-date, you can achieve higher customer satisfaction, leading to more positive reviews, and increased sales.
- For phone orders, we can sync sales from QuickBooks to your shipping solution.
- If you sell on multiple channels, you can simplify by using our solution instead of multiple tools.
- Connex integrates QuickBooks with all major e-commerce platforms, such as Woocommerce, Shopify, Magento, Amazon, and e-commerce shipping solutions such as Shipworks, Ordoro, and Shipping Easy.
How can you decide whether Connex is right for your business?
During this introductory call, you will discover how Connex can help you to:
- Eliminate manual data entry into QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop
- Automatically update your inventory and prevent oversells and refunds
- Manage sales from multiple channels in one app
- Connect your shipping solutions to QuickBooks
- Have accurate financial information in your QuickBooks every day
Are you unsure whether Connex is right for your business?